Friday, May 3, 2013

Winelands Tour

My high school friend Sydney Dies Sur passed away last night.  Sydney and I lived three blocks from each other in Nashville and we went to school together for 16 years (Eakin, Cavert, West, and Vanderbilt/Peabody.  We were reaquainted in 2001 and I enjoyed her as she fought ovarian cancer valiantly and with such a positive attitude that it influenced my own attitude.  When I saw her two weeks ago, I told her to hang on and keep fighting and I will bring her back something from Africa.  She made her request and I have it in my possession.  I am trying to decide what to do with it.  Syd, will see you in the next life.

I did have an all day winelands tour today in the Stellenbosch and Franschhoek areas around Cape Town.  A word of advice.  Do not take your blood pressure medicine and then attend a wine tasting and THEN (this is important) go on a tour of the wine cellars.  No damage done but it was scary for a few minutes.

All in all, we went on three wine tastings.  Tasted chardonnay, cavernign blanc, cabernet sauvignon, pinotage, shiraz both with and without pairings with chocolate and cheese.  I don't believe any of the wineries distribute in the USA (Lanzerac, Anura, and La Motte).  I also had lunch (warthog burger and a Castle lager-as if I needed more alcohol) but the most interesting part of the day was the scenery.  These two towns are located 35-40 kilometers away from Cape Town in flat plains surrounded by mountains.  I will post pictures later.  It started out rainy, however, the sun came out as we returned to Cape Town and the weekend promises to be a winner.

Stay tuned.    

5 comments:

  1. Glad it turned out well for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sorry to hear about your friend Sydney Dad. I enjoyed meeting her at your big 70th shindig.

    I am glad you are ok- did you get dizzy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am ok. I got a tad dizzy with the low bp and a half liter of alcohol. I keep forgetting to just sup the wine rather than gulp.

      Delete
  3. Yes, warthog again. I love the stuff but I have eaten more calamari than anything. But watch out if I start growing a tusk.

    ReplyDelete