Thursday, April 25, 2013

April 26, 2013  I arrived Johannesburg yesterday morning and after negotiating the massive O R Tambo International Airport, this tired boy checked into the British Airways flight to Victoria Falls.  This flight, like all of the others, was on time and about 80 % full.  I watched the Trouble with the Curve starring Clint Eastwood and Justin Timberlake.  Thoroughly enjoyed the movie.  But I digress.  Arrived in Victoria Falls, zipped through immigration, and found the Jenman Safaris driver and he took me the 21 miles into town.  Vic Falls is a small town that is totally dedicated to tourism.  Checked into the Ilala Lodge, showered (I was pretty ripe from having slept for two nights in my clothes), took a quick nap.  Horizon picked me and a fellow from Australia (well he was originally from Kenya but migrated to Western Australia where his father was in the mining industry.  Found out he was a metallurgist graduating from Kalgorlie Tech). We went on a boat trip on the Zmabezi River called a Sundown Cruise.  Free booze and homeaid savories (the Brits loved it).  Speaking of Brits, met four beautiful young ladies from the UK.  They were immediately attracted to me (or had too much coke and whiskey which was more like it).
We did get to see several animals (crocodiles, an elephant, several hippos; ibis, and, of course the sunset.
And did I mention the beer?

My friend and I and a lady from the UK had dinner at the hotel I had coconut crocodile curry. All in all, a perfect start for this adventure.  Today is a tour of the falls, a helicopter flight over the Falls, a tram tour of the bridge, and a BOMA dinner.  But first breakfast  as it is 6:30 am.

Here is elephant.

Here is my Australian friend.

6 comments:

  1. Sounds like a fabulous first day!! I have to say I have never thought of curry coconut crocodile- I'm always trying to think of new ideas to serve the family.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great start! Glad you are having fun. B

    ReplyDelete
  3. Just heard from friend who attended the PCA banquet on Wed. Night. The extra cookies we had were donated to the PCA auction. The first bucket went for $300' the second one went for $1000!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Finally found the blog. So happy to be following your travels!! Be safe and have a fabulous time.

    ReplyDelete